Title: Hope of the World
Composer: Genevan Psalter, 1551
Author: Georgia Harkness, 1954
Scripture: Romans 15:13 I Corinthians 15:19 Colossians 1:27
Theme: Life in Christ
1. Hope of the world, Thou Christ of great compassion,
Speak to our fearful hearts by conflict rent.
Save us, Thy people, from consuming passion,
Who by our own false hopes and aims are spent.
2. Hope of the world, God's gift from highest heaven,
Bringing to hungry souls the bread of life,
Still let Thy Spirit unto us be given
To heal earth's wounds and end our bitter strife.
3. Hope of the world, afoot on dusty highways,
Showing to wandering souls the path of light;
Walk Thou beside us lest the tempting byways
Lure us away from Thee to endless night.
4. Hope of the world, who by Thy cross didst save us
From death and deep despair, from sin and guilt;
We render back the love Thy mercy gave us;
Take Thou our lives and use them as Thou wilt.
5. Hope of the world, O Christ, o'er death victorious,
Who by this sign didst conquer grief and pain,
We would be faithful to Thy gospel glorious:
Thou art our Lord! Thou dost forever reign!